Tuesday, April 10, 2012

A Favorite Sentence?

In any of the stories in La Vida Real, find a favorite sentence and copy it here. Make sure to add the page number. Explain why you like the sentence.

Example: "I try to remember that my mother grew up in Mexico, where attitudes toward women are often different than they are in the United States" (Sofia, p. 59).
Even though my parents were not from Mexico, I can understand Sofia's sentence well. My parents had a hard time when I told them I was marrying a man from another culture (and religion!). I understand that they wanted to preserve our culture, and they were afraid that I would raise our children in a different religion. It took a few years, but they finally saw that the marriage was solid (and that I raised our children in OUR religion, not my husband's).

Now it's your turn! Find a favorite sentence!

7 comments:

  1. 985145
    (P.54)"When she and her brothers left Mexico with their parents a little over twelve years ago, Sofia Sofia was frightened and very sad." I like this sentence because it reminds me when I left in my country. I remember how sad my family was when I left my house specially my mom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear 985145,
    You could strengthen your entry by giving details! Maybe it's sad to write about, but you can show the power of words by elaborating. What happened? (if it isn't too personal).
    Dr. K

    ReplyDelete
  3. 903165
    (page 60, 1st paragraph)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry I just put it put so i wont forget. Hehehehe
      903165

      Delete
  4. 903165-
    (page60,1st paragraph)
    "Probably a lot of those girls aren't getting very much support at home to have a real career or to continue in school." I really liked this quotation cause it had a lot of meaning to me and I can rephrase to it. For example when I was pregnant my father didn't support me in any way at home. My mother and the baby father helped me when I needed it. My mother helped me in eating right and making me food, also so I relax and not be in stress. The baby father just made me feel better and that everything was going to be okay. That was a big help for me that they where supporting me. At school i didn't even want to wake up in the morning. In classes I was left behind; so I gave up and failed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. " My daughter grew up knowing the importance of education. That means more to me than anything else. Now I tell everybody, 'My daughter is a speech pathologist!'-And then I tell everybody that I'm a grandma of three and all three say, 'We're going to college just like Grandma!' Now that's a dream come true." (Arelys,p. 83)
    I just feel like it's very inspiring and shows that the hardships of life really can't hold you back from the things you want for yourself if you really want them.
    797327

    ReplyDelete